Bengali stakeholders of Sikkim tourism condemn targeting of Sikkimese in Siliguri

June 29, 2017

Gangtok, 28 Jun:

Bengali businessmen engaged in the tourism sector in Sikkim have come out strongly with their condemnation of the recent incidents of attacks and vandalism of Sikkim vehicles in Siliguri.

Addressing a press conference here today, they said, “As we are safe and peacefully doing our business in Sikkim, we would like to appeal to the West Bengal government and the people there to extend the same love and safety to Sikkimese people in West Bengal.”

They also stated that the present situation in North Bengal has also affected their business very badly. They inform that around 80% of the advance booking for this tourist season have been cancelled so far in the wake of trouble in the neighbouring region.

“We would like to request the concerned authorities and our neighbors to keep the national highway open and safe for Sikkim,” they said.

While condemning the recent attack on Sikkim vehicles, they appealed that vehicles and people for Sikkim should not be targeted in Siliguri.

“We have been working peacefully in Sikkim for a long time and the people here are very supportive and loving. So we would like to request our government and the people to give the same love and safety to Sikkimese people in West Bengal,” they said.

The press conference was addressed by Bijon Manna, Tilu Sarkar, Ashok Ghose and other stakeholders.

 

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Please reload