STATE CONSIDERING LEGAL ACTION AGAINST WB GOVERNMENT: CM

July 7, 2017

 

Namchi, 06 Jul:

The State is considering the possibility of filing a case against the West Bengal Government in the Supreme Court demanding compensation for the heavy losses incurred by Sikkim due to unrest in West Bengal, said Chief Minister, Pawan Chamling today while addressing the Janta Mela function at Singithang, South Sikkim.

Sikkim has incurred losses of around Rs 60,000 crore over the past 32 years due to unrest in the neighbouring hills, he stated. 

Standing firm by his letter to the Union Home Minister last month supporting the demand for Gorkhaland, Mr Chamling said, “It is their constitutional demand but the government has always ignored and suppressed their demand.”

He added that Sikkim’s development had been hit for three decades because of the protests and blockades in West Bengal.

Condemning the recent attacks on Sikkimese vehicles including trucks carrying essential supplies and passenger taxis, the CM said, “It has been 32 years of suffering. The agitation and blockades have caused damages to the Sikkimese people. Our people are beaten up and our vehicles destroyed by goons.”

Regarding the standoff between China and India at the Nathu La border, he said, “We are constantly in touch with the Central Government regarding the matter. There is no need to panic.”

However, he added that the Karmapa's visit to Sikkim could be delayed due to rising tension between India and China.

The CM further appealed to the people to stay ‘united and avoid conflict amongst ourselves’.
 

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

December 13, 2019

Please reload