Three arrested in shooting of Gangtok businessman

Gangtok, 29 Jul:

Sadar Police have busted the Tharo Line shooting case and put three involved in the hit behind bars.

Businessman Ajaz Shah [Munna Shah] was shot by a then unknown assailantat Tharo Line on the night of 20 July and fortunately, he survived after sustaining a bullet injury on his left thigh.

Speaking to media persons at Sadar Thana today, Superintendent of Police [East], Tenzing Loden Lepcha, explained that within 12 hours of the incident, the police checked all available video footage from CCTVs installed around the spot and found some people “behaving suspiciously”.

He added that the police immediately called Yasir Shah, who is the nephew of the victim, for questioning who eventually revealed the long-standing feud in the family and that money was involved.

“It was learnt that a conspiracy was hatched to hurt Munna Shah by his nephew, Yasir Shah, who hired two persons for the same,” the SP informed.

Yasir Shah, as per the police, hired Bhaichung Sherpa of Namchi, presently living at Arithang and shooter, Diwas Sherpa of Sumin, presently residing in Rey Khola area below Gangtok.

The police immediately circulated a photo of Bhaichung Sherpa who was arrested by Rangpo Police at Rangpo when he was about to board a bus to Siliguri on 22 July.

Diwas Sherpa was later arrested from Tadong.

The SP informed that the trio had begun planning to shoot Ajaz Shah two months ago. He further informed that a pistol with silencer was used in the crime and two bullets were fired, of which the first one hit the victim’s thigh and the other missed him.

The police have also seized the weapon used in the crime, it is informed.

The SP adds that the pistol used in the crime was not licensed and was procured by Yasir Shah around a year back with intent to use against his uncle.

The SP further informed that investigation revealed that the duo was hired for Rs 2 lakh, of which Rs 70,000 had already been paid by Yasir Shah. He is alleged to have paid Rs 40,000 immediately after the incident and Rs 30,000 the next day.

Initially, the police registered the case under section 307 of IPC [Attempt to Murder] and section 27 of Arms Act 1959. They have now added section 120 (b) of IPC [criminal conspiracy]. All accused are presently in 15 days police remand and the case is still under investigation to flesh out further details.