MP raises tribal status demand for left out communities in Parliament Non-inclusion was historic mistake: Subba

December 5, 2019

Gangtok, 04 Dec:

LokSabha MP, Indra Hang Subba, raised the matter of including 11 left out communities in the Scheduled Tribes listtoday during the Parliament session in New Delhi. He was allowed under Rule 377by the Speaker to read out this matter which he had submitted last Friday.

In his address, Mr Subba said, “Only about 40 per cent of people of Sikkim are included in the list of Scheduled Tribes. Remaining 60 per cent of them are either categorised as OBC or in General category.”

He added that the importance and urgency of including 11 left out communities in the list of Scheduled Tribes lies in the fact that these communities are also socio-educationally backward and economically weak at par with other Scheduled Tribes of Sikkim.

“It was a historic mistake when all these communities were not included in the list of Scheduled Tribes at par with other tribes of Sikkim,” stated the MP.

He called for the inclusion of these 11 left out communities for “greater justice and equality”.

The 11 left out communities are Khas [Chhetri-Bahun], Rai, Magar, Gurung, Sanyasi/Giri, Thami, Dewan/Yakha, Newar, Sunwar/Mukhia, Jogi and Bhujel.

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

January 21, 2020

January 20, 2020

Please reload