Munshithang Bailey Bridge on verge of completion

360 feet long bridge will reconnect Lachen to rest of the state

Mangan, 29 Jan (IPR):Minister for Roads & Bridges, Samdup Lepcha on Wednesday inspected the ongoing construction of the 360 feet Munshithang Bailey Suspension Bridge, which will connect Lachen to the rest of the state.

Minister, Samdup Lepcha, travelled along the entire length of the bridge on foot and took stock of ongoing construction of the bridge which is being jointly built by 86 RCC (GREF) and Corps of Engineering (Army).

Minister, Mr Lepcha was accompanied by Major Prashant Lalotra, OC 86 RCC and SDPO, Chungthang, LB Chettri.

Major Prashant informed that the said bridge shall withstand a load of 24 tons of track and wheel vehicle. Further, he informed that 95% of bridge construction has already been completed, remaining 5% works such as construction approach road on either side of the bridge, construction of retaining wall etc, will be done within a month with all necessary safety measures. Vehicles can ply over the bridge by the end of February 2020, he added.

The Minister appreciated the speedy work that was executed by the GREF and Army Engineers and assured to felicitate them when the bridge is inaugurated. Furthermore, he also assured Major Prashant to provide every possible help from his end for improvement of roads and bridges of the district.

The Minister began his inspection of the bridge at around 2.30pm and spent nearly an hour on the new bridge today.

It may be recalled that the construction of Munshithang Bailey Suspension Bridge had commenced in the last week of October 2019.