CM INAUGURATES OXYGEN PLANT AT STNM
“Working towards making Sikkim first mask-free state in India”
1. Government will ensure free medicines for all the people who cannot afford to buy medicines (BPL
category). To achieve this, the budget allocation for the procurement of medicines has been enhanced
for the Financial Year 2021-22.
2. Government has decided to procure all the medicines directly from the manufacturer, thus completely eradicating the system of middlemen.
3. All Government doctors and medical practitioners should only prescribe medicines which are available in the Health Store (CMS).
4. The manufacturers should deliver the medicines directly to the District Hospitals and the STNM
Hospital so that there is even distribution and adequate stock.
5. Sanitation Assistants officially renamed Safaikarmacharis.
6. 120 KV Generator Backup for the newly installed Oxygen Plant will be sanctioned immediately and
made available within the next fifteen days.
7. The Government will immediately appoint technical manpower to operate and maintain the Oxygen Plant at STNM Hospital as well as the Plants being set up in the districts. In the meanwhile, all the technical staff engaged in the Oxygen Plant should get adequately trained by the technical team
from L&T company before they leave the State.
8. The Government aims to make the STNM Hospital at par with renowned private hospitals. To achieve this, there should be strict rules in place and everybody should comply with them. Doctors and paramedics should not be burdened with management related work, rather it should be taken
care of by the Hospital Administration. The overall ambience and sanctity of the hospital should be maintained.
9. Regarding Medical Assistance under Chief Minister’s Medical Relief, an Office has been established on the first floor of Old STNM Hospital (Urban PHC). The office will be open from Thursday to Saturday. After scrutiny, the applications are sanctioned on Sunday, processed on Monday and Tuesday, and the cheque is released on Wednesday.
Gangtok, 22 Jun: Chief Minister PS Tamang today said that the state government is aiming at making
Sikkim the first mask-free state of the country. He said this during the inauguration of the1000 Litres Per Minute PSA Oxygen Plant at STNM Hospital, Sochyagang, Gangtok, today. The CM said that the government is focusing on vaccinating all its citizens with the aim to become the first mask free state in the country.The Oxygen Plant has been allocated by the Government of India for STNM Hospital, Sochyagang under PMCARES. The civil work for the installation of the Plant had commenced
on 28 May, 2021. The plant is now fully functional and will be able to supply oxygen to the entire Hospital. Oxygen Plants are also coming up at all the four District Hospitals, and the Government
plans to install a 1000 LPM Bottling Plant at Rangpo from its own fund to ensure that the State Government will have enough supply of Medical Oxygen to deal with any health crisis. It may be mentioned that the State Government in its early response to the second wave of Covid-19 had installed a 500 Lites Per Minute VSA Oxygen Plant at STNM Hospital. The 1000 LPM Plant
inaugurated today will further supplement the Oxygen supply to the Hospital. While addressing the
medical fraternity after the inauguration programme, the CM lauded the efforts of the entire team involved in the process of installation of the Oxygen Plant in STNM Hospital. Dedicating the Oxygen
Plant to the people of Sikkim, he said that this is yet another milestone achieved by the State in terms of strengthening the health infrastructure. He said that the entire credit for this achievement goes to the Health Department. He also thanked the officers and engineers of the Central PWD for completing
the civil work within the stipulated time, and the technical team from L&T company for installing the Plant. He extended his gratitude to the Prime Minister and the Union Health Minister for their continuous support to the State to deal with the pandemic. The Chief Minister said that the present crisis caused by the pandemic has drawn everyone’s attention towards the health sector, and there is heightened awareness among the general public. He reaffirmed the commitment of the State Government to defeat
the pandemic and work towards rebuilding Sikkim and putting it back on the track of development.
He assured all possible support from the Government to the entire medical fraternity in the State. He said that steps are being taken to appoint more doctors, nurses and paramedical staff to strengthen the health setup. The CM also acknowledged the relentless effort of the State Level Oxygen Management Committee headed by Minister for Transport, Sanjit Kharel. He thanked the entire team for ensuring
timely management and transportation of medical oxygen. The Chief Minister put on record his
appreciation for the entire medical fraternity and support staff for rendering their valuable service during the Covid-19 pandemic. He said that in due course of time, the Government will felicitate
all the individuals for their selfless service. He further thanked the entire team of SEED Cell for contributing 3000 numbers of PPE Kits, 700 Pulse Oximeters, 1000 Immunity Boosters and
2 Lakh Face Masks, to the Health Department, as a token of support during the pandemic. On behalf of SEED Cell, its Coordinator, Raj Lama had earlier handed over the items to the CM. Meanwhile he said that during this pandemic, around 404 people have been appointed to various posts under the health department. The CM accused some doctors belonging to the opposition of jeopardizing the health of citizens in the name of check-up. He said that they were risking the lives of people in the name routine
checkup by visiting both Covid and other patients without changing PPE.