Sikkim Rajya Khel Purashkar to mark I-Day from 2022, announces CM
State-Level Independence Day celebration in Gangtok
The State level 75th Independence Day celebration was held at Manan Kendra in Gangtok, today. In view of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic scenario, the celebration was held on a smaller scale this year while adhering to Covid-19 safety protocols and social distancing measures with lesser invitees.
A press release from the Information and Public Relations Department informs that the event was streamed live through various digital platforms of the State Government which was facilitated by the State IT Department, IPR Department and NIC to reach out to the people across Sikkim and the nation.
Chief Minister, Prem Singh Tamang, present as the chief guest, unfurled the National Flag, amidst the National Anthem tune by the Sikkim Police Band. Thereafter, the Chief Minister received the National salute presented by the Sikkim Police contingent.
The event had the presence of Cabinet Ministers, Members of the Legislative Assembly, Advisors, Chairpersons, Chief Secretary, DGP, Heads of Departments and officials from the Army along with health, police and GMC frontline workers who were special invitees on the occasion.
The programme also had the presence of the Secretary, Ministry of DoNER, Government of India, Dr Inder Jit Singh, who along with his spouse, were special guests on the occasion.
1. The Government will start Chief Minister’s Fellowship Programme, in the form of scholarship, to 100 best students selected by the Education Department every year from 2022 onwards. Such students will be attached to any Government or corporate sector of their choice and trained for one year. The CM directed the Education Department to work out the modalities.
2. A cash award of Rs. 5 (five) lakhs to Arjuna Awardee and Padmashree Tarundeep Rai from the Chief Minister’s Fund for his participation and performance in the recently concluded Tokyo Olympics. The award will be presented to Ace Archer Tarundeep Rai on the occasion of National Sports Day which falls on 29th August.
3. A cash award of Rs. 3 (three) lakhs to Sandhya Gurung, personal coach/trainer of Indian Boxer Lovlina Borgohain from Assam who won the bronze medal in the Tokyo Olympics.
4. From 2022 onwards, on the occasion of Independence Day every year, the Government will present an award called ‘Sikkim Rajya Khel Purashkar’ to the three best sportspersons from Sikkim in any sporting field. The first award will be a cash award of Rs. 5 (five) lakhs, the second prize will be a cash award of Rs. 3 (three) lakhs and the third prize would be a cash award of Rs. 2 (two) lakhs. The entire education expenditure of these sportspersons after their selection would be borne by the State Government. The Sports Department was directed to prepare a detailed plan, including the selection procedures.
5. Before the Dusshera (Dasain) festival in October, the pending 11% Dearness Allowance (DA) will be released to the State Government employees.
The CM, in his address, extended his warmest greetings and best wishes to the people of Sikkim on the occasion of Independence Day 2021. Expressing great honour and reverence, he paid tribute to the freedom fighters who fought valiantly for the war of independence thereby freeing India from the colonial British rule while giving special mention to Sikkimese freedom fighter, Late Helen Lepcha.
The Chief Minister took the opportunity to highlight the state government’s various works on providing basic needs to the society with the main focus being the sectors of health and education, the release mentions.
He also informed that the extension of the campus of Sikkim University for Master’s Degree Courses in different colleges of Sikkim has been initiated. The budget has already been allocated for the construction of Sikkim State University at Temi Tarku in South Sikkim. The State government has also acquired 100 acres of land for the National Institute of Technology (NIT) at Khamdong, he stated.
The CM extended gratitude to the people of Sikkim for extending support during these inevitable hours of crisis and applauded the dedicated services provided by frontline warriors in all sectors for their patience, forbearance, cooperation and support during both waves of the pandemic.
The CM also presented Certificates of Participation to Home Stay Owners in the State who participated in the four-day Home Stay Congress (Seminar) organized in Okharey, West Sikkim from 04 to 08 April, 2021.
During the programme, the digital launch of Sikkim Urban Garib Awas Yojana (SUGAY), the first fully State-sponsored urban housing scheme was also held, the release informs.
It was informed that the SUGAY scheme will be aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals set forth by the United Nations. Individual House Construction (IHC) is one of the verticals of the Sikkim Urban Garib Awas Yojana whereby a house measuring 678.50 sqft for Rs. 19.37 lakhs per unit will be constructed in the land of the selected beneficiary. A total of 502 individual houses will be constructed in the 7 municipal areas of the State during the first phase of the scheme from 2021-2025.
It was also informed that the Social Housing Flats (SHF) is another vertical of the Sikkim Urban Garib Awas Yojana whereby a flat measuring 688 sqft for Rs.22 lakhs per unit will be allotted to the selected beneficiary on a long term lease. The flat will be contained in a five-storied building having a total of 10 flats in each building which will be part of several other buildings in the housing complex with allied physical and social infrastructure. A total of 260 flats will be constructed in the municipal areas of Gangtok (150 units), Nayabazaar-Jorethang (40 units) and Gyalshing (70 units).
A three-storied building under the Shelter for Houseless Households (SHH) comprising of the male and female dormitory with a total capacity for 40 inmates, kitchen, dining, office and a caretaker’s quarters will also be constructed and integrated into the social house complex at Gangtok. This will provide dignified shelter to the destitute. The total cost of the project is Rs. 15686.93 lakhs.
The CM handed over the proposed orders for Individual House Construction to three beneficiaries namely Pema Eden Bhutia (Arithang), Pushpa Tamang (Jorethang), Binita Chettri and Chandra Bdr. Chettri (Tadong).
The programme also featured patriotic songs presented by artists of the Culture Department, Government of Sikkim.
During the Independence Day celebration, Chief Minister, PS Tamang handed over awards and Certificate of Appreciation to individuals for making a distinct mark in their respective fields.
Following is the list of the recipients:
1. State Meritorious Service Award:
i) Special Secretary, Bhim Thatal, Education Department
ii) Additional Director, Normit Lepcha, Social Justice and Welfare Department
iii) Sub Divisional Magistrate, Robin Sewa, Gangtok, Land Revenue and Disaster Management Department.
iv) Deputy Director, Dr Indra Bir Singh Yadav, Skill Development Department.
v) Office Superintendent, Ongmu Bhutia, Law Department.
vi) Sub-Inspector, Chandra Bahadur Gurung, Sikkim Police
vii) Assistant Sub-Inspector, Mani Kumar Sunar, Sikkim Police.
viii) Assistant Sub Inspector, Jahar Singh Chettri, Excise Department.
ix) Driver, Ratan Chettri, Commerce and Industries Department
2. Fire Service Medals for Meritorious Service awarded by MHA:
i) Assistant Sub Fire Officer, Karma Tenzing Bhutia – awarded on the occasion of Republic Day, 2018.
ii) Assistant Sub Fire Officer, Deo Kumar Sadhu - awarded on the occasion of Independence Day, 2018.
3. Certificate of Appreciation:
- Presented to Medical Specialist and Head of Department, Dr BN Sharma, Medicine, STNM Hospital, for his dedicated and selfless service and continuous management of the COVID dedicated Hospital since 2020.
As per communication received from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, Additional DGP, Sikkim Police, N Sridhar Rao has been awarded the President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service, on the occasion of Independence Day, 2021.
Likewise, Deputy Chief Fire Officer, Sikkim, Zamyang Tashi Bhutia, has been conferred with the Fire Service Medal for Meritorious Service, on the occasion of Independence Day, 2021.