State-level Republic Day celebration in Gangtok
Gangtok, 26 Jan (IPR):
The 73rd Republic of India was celebrated with great fervour here at Manan Kendra, Gangtok today.
At the onset of the celebrations, Governor, Ganga Prasad, unfurled the national flag at the premises of Manan Kendra followed by the national anthem and guard of honour given by the police personnel.
The Governor was joined by Chief Minister, Prem Singh Tamang.
The celebration at Manan Kendra auditorium was embellished with colourful patriotic song and dance forms performed by local artists under the Culture Department.
On the occasion, following Awards were announced:
Police Medal for Gallantry
- Special Director General of Police (Law and Order), AkshaySachdeva, IPS,Sikkim Police.
Police Medal for Meritorious Service
- IGP/Director Fire Service, ManojTiwary, IPS,Sikkim Police.
President's Fire Service Medal for Distinguished Service
- Sub Fire Officer, BudhiLallSubbaFire and Emergency Service, Sikkim Police.
Fire Service Medal for Meritorious Service
- Sub Fire Officer, Sonam Bhutia,Fire and Emergency Service, Sikkim Police.
The following Awards were presented by the Governor on the occasion:
Pin up of President's Correctional Service Medal for Meritorious Service:
1. Sub Jailor State Central Prison, PhupuDoma Bhutia,Rongyek, Sikkim, awarded on Independence Day, 2015.
2. Sub Jailor State Central Prison, ThendupDorjee Bhutia,Rongyek, Sikkim, awarded on Independence Day, 2019.
3. Sub Jailor State Central Prison, DhanBahadurPradhan,Rongyek, Sikkim, awarded on Independence Day, 2019.
Pin up of Police Medal for Meritorious Service
- Deputy Superintendent of Police (Home Guard and Civil Defence), TsheringYangzom Bhutia, awarded on Republic Day 2020.
State Meritorious Award for Government employees:
1. Principal Director, DrPhumzayDenzongpa, Health and Family Welfare Department.
2. Joint Director, Yadav Krishna Sharma,Home Department.
3. Deputy General Manager-cum-Operational In-charge, BhupendraChettri,SNT Division, Siliguri, Transport Department.
4. Sub Inspector, Karma Tshering Bhutia,Reserved Lines, Sikkim Police.
5. Assistant Sub Fire Officer, Rinzing Lama, Fire and Emergency Service.
6. Office Attendant, Sonam Bhutia,Tourism and Civil Aviation Department.
7. Supervisor, Madan Kumar Rai, Raj Bhawan.
8. Pipe Fitter,Chandra Bhujel,Urban Development Department.
9. Office Attendant, NimTshering Sherpa,Department of Personnel.
10. Office Attendant, KrishnamanSubba,Culture Department.
Certificate of Appreciation
- Brigadier SoraismPremjit Singh, Chief Engineer, General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF).
During the programme, Forest Department also released a coffee table book through the hands of the Governor and the Chief Minister.
In his brief address, Governor Ganga Prasad extended his warm greetings of Republic Day to the people of Sikkim. He called for everyone to remember the matyrs who fought for our independence and honour army personnel who protect our borders in far flung areas of the country.
The Governor expressed immense joy on the fact that Sikkim had bagged various national awards in recent times. He highlighted development of agriculture sector in the State which is striving towards a self-reliant Sikkim. Touching the environment sector, he said that Sikkim had grown leap and bounds in comparison to other states. He also highlighted the success of Pakyong Police being awarded the best police force in India and two teachers bringing laurels to the state through national awards in an already developing Education sector. Touching on the topic of recent times, the Governor applauded the efforts of health service workers who showed their prowess by delivering one of the best Covid-19 vaccination success rates in the country.
The Governor stressed on co-ordination of citizens of Sikkim to sustain recent developments made by the State and the responsibility we all have to take it forward. In the end, he called on everyone present to strive to take Sikkim and India forward with our services.
The State level function was attended by Cabinet Ministers, MLAs, MP LokSabha, other dignitaries and distinguished invitees.